Disputed Wills and Estates
Expert support when you’re facing a battle of wills
Disputes over wills and estates are distressing, gruelling and expensive. Lodders’ expert probate team can help prevent disputes occurring and help you resolve them when they do.
From interpreting wills and trusts to settling disputes between executors and trustees, our specialist private client team can handle the most complicated of matters. Wills can be challenged as invalid on a variety of grounds, including lack of testamentary capacity, undue influence, improper execution and fraud. We can also step in if our client feels that inadequate financial provision has been made, or if they wish to challenge the statutory provisions that apply when no valid will exists. If a will is wrong, or an estate isn’t administered in the right way, we can sue for professional negligence.
A rise in contested probate cases
In recent years, there have been a number of high profile contested probate cases. These are due to a combination of factors, from clients who are increasingly more aware of their legal rights to the rise in cohabitation, divorce and remarriage. Both situations have contributed to an increase in disputes over estates.
Within our private client department we have an experienced and dedicated team who can handle even the most complicated of matters. From start to finish, we will offer expert knowledge and experience in this highly specialised and technical field.
Our services include...
- Interpretation of wills and trust provisions
- Disputes between executors and trustees or with beneficiaries
- Professional negligence in will drafting or the administration of estates
- Removal of executors and trustees
- Ownership and interests in property
- Abuse of powers by attorneys
- Challenges to funding decisions made by the NHS and local authority regarding care home funding arrangement